Massage therapy can be a powerful ally in your regular health care routine. Experts estimate that over 90% of disease processes are related to stress. While we cannot eliminate all aspects of stress in our busy lives, massage can definitely help move us toward a more balanced lifestyle. In doing so it can help decrease anxiety, enhance the quality of our sleep, provide us with more energy, and help relieve pain.
Therapeutic massage has been shown to alleviate muscle pain, promote tissue healing, increase circulation, improve immune function, increase joint flexibility, improve athletic performance and recovery, decrease the symptoms of anxiety and depression, and improve emotional health.
Several studies have shown the healing benefit of touch, which can include treating acute injury, chronic disease, and stress related symptoms brought on by our hectic lifestyles. The medical community has realized the power of therapeutic touch as a part of a complete wellness plan, both in recovery from injury and in treating day-to-day stress and anxiety related symptoms.
Bodywork can help specifically address a number of health issues:
- Alleviate low-back pain and improve range of motion.
- Assist with shorter, easier labor for expectant mothers and shorten maternity hospital stays.
- Ease medication dependence.
- Enhance immunity by stimulating lymph flow—the body's natural defense system.
- Exercise and stretch weak, tight, or atrophied muscles.
- Help athletes of any level prepare for, and recover from, strenuous workouts.
- Improve the condition of the body's largest organ—the skin.
- Increase joint flexibility.
- Lessen depression and anxiety.
- Promote tissue regeneration, reducing scar tissue and stretch marks.
- Pump oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs, improving circulation.
- Reduce postsurgery adhesions and swelling.
- Reduce spasms and cramping.
- Relax and soften injured, tired, and overused muscles.
- Release endorphins—amino acids that work as the body's natural painkiller.
- Relieve migraine pain.
Also, please be aware that with certain medical conditions, massage and body work may be contraindicated or may require limiting therapy to specific areas or using specific techniques. Discuss any medical conditions before booking an appointment and allow time to obtain a medical release form from your physician if indicated.